July 22 - July 28 2018

I've been dedicating at least an hour every day to doing family history work. I have been particularly interested in my great grandmother who was a very private person. We are not even sure if any of the info we have on her is accurate because we hit a dead end wherever we look. I am determined to figure it out and get her sealed to her parents, but also to just learn of her story because obviously it brought her pain. I would love to get to know her better! I really just feel like it is a matter of time. I actually had a dream the other night where I was able to meet her and I asked her what her name was when she was born. From her reaction, I knew she was not ready yet to give that information yet. Maybe it was just a dream, but maybe it was more. Either way, whether it's 5 years or 50 years from now, I will research her everyday until she's ready. I really care about her! I sent this screenshot to Daniel because I couldn't tell what it said. I'm trying to look into all the info we have to piece her life together and get a better idea of who she is.


Eleanor had a cup of chips. When it ran out, she poured herself some more. Eleanor is our table sitter.







In doing our family history, we learned that I have a lot of ancestors who were pioneers and are buried here in Utah. We decided to go to the Salt Lake cemetery on Pioneer Day and find their graves. Daniel made this list of where some of my ancestors are buried. (Notice: we forgot to put the names along with the location.)


We made sure we wouldn't be in the craziness of the parade.


We took some pics of the map.



And we were on our way!

When we first got there, the first grave we saw was for George Albert Smith. The Little Atwells all sat down and we got a picture. I know, it's total blasphemy and probably really disrespectful that they are sitting there, but something told us that President Smith really didn't mind;)



And the hunt for our ancestors began! It was hot outside so Daniel would go out and look for them while I sat in the van with the Little Atwells. Once he found one, we would all go out, get a picture, talk about that person, and the Little Atwells would tell us how they would have their bodies again when Jesus comes. They have such faith!




















I really grew to love Mary Arey Brown while reading about her. She helped everyone and gave all she had to building God's kingdom. She worked hard every day of her life for her family but also for her neighbors. I loved that on her headstone it says "Gone but not forgotten." She was the last one on our list and by that point the Little Atwells were done and tired. So I ran out while Daniel sat with them and I got a picture of her gravestone along with my feet:) I'm really grateful she is a part of my DNA as well as my children's.



I didn't share this part on Instagram, but I did share it on my personal blog:

"we had a list of where each grave was. the problem was that we forgot to write the names along with the lot numbers! it was too hot for us all to go out and search, so my wonderful daniel would go and search while the children and i sat in the van. once he found it, we would all go out and talk about that ancestor. what is interesting is that daniel only looked for a couple of seconds at each name while he was making the list of graves. i was so amazed that he was able to find each one even though he really didn't know their names all that well. that night when i asked him, he told me that he would be looking at each name and when he would get to one of my ancestors, he would feel a wave of excitement come over him and he would just know. he told me with all the sacredness and excitement he could muster that my ancestors were there with us and were so excited that i was turning to them and that they haven't been forgotten."

We introduced the Little Atwells to Photo Booth on our iPad. They were laughing so hard. Eleanor kept looking at them and then at the iPad so confused as to how they looked so silly in the picture but normal in real life. She was a little concerned when we put the camera on her and kept feeling her face to see if it was distorted.




 























 














One day we had to drive all the way to Orem to pick up Daniel's phone that he left on the bus. It took a while to get there and back and the Little Atwells did not want to go home. They wanted to get out and play. So I took them to the splash pad even though I didn't have towels, swimsuits, or sunscreen. We didn't stay too long so it worked out. Dalton stayed by the benches with me and played with his cars. I told him we would be going soon and he said, "What?! Are you kidding me? Are you crazy?" He says this a lot to me and it's so adorable (and just a little annoying). I took a video of him saying this to me and will try and get it on our youtube channel.



The Little Atwells have been invited to some birthday parties this summer. Maylee especially loved this pink invitation and took it with her wherever she went. She even took a picture with it with my phone:)


She also got pictures of our balcony,



Eleanor eating lunch,



Dalton happy as can be watching Peppa Pig,


and her feet with a cool filter. :)


Eleanor and Daniel snuggling in bed after a long day at work (Daniel commutes 4 hours every day).








This is a picture of Eliza Cusworth Burton who is a spouse of my 5th great grandpa. Daniel posted on the 162nd anniversary of her leaving for Salt Lake in the Martin Handcart Company. Here's the post:

"162 years ago on this day, July 26, 1856 Eliza Cusworth Burton left Iowa City with the Martin Handcart Company with her two children ages 6 and 4. She was a recent widow whose husband, Joseph Burton, had died from an accident shortly before they were to make the voyage from England to America. She pulled her handcart with only the aid of her 6-year-old son from Iowa City to the Salt Lake Valley-a distance of about 1,300 miles. She waded the icy Sweetwater River three times-once with her son on her back, once with her daughter on her back, and finally to pull their handcart through. About 150 members of the Martin Handcart Company died due to starvation, disease, and exposure to the elements. Eliza, Joseph, and Martha all reached the Salt Lake Valley.
When they reached the Salt Lake Valley her son had several toes amputated due to frostbite. Eliza and her children subsequently moved to Pleasant Grove, Utah. There she met and married Nathan Staker, a widower. Records indicate that they were not sealed, but instead Nathan stood in proxy for Eliza’s first husband, so she could be sealed to him, because Nathan “would not steal from another man.” Their subsequent 5 children were also sealed to Eliza and her first husband. Eliza died in 1914 at the age of 90. She is buried in Mount Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah.
Nathan Staker is my wife’s 4th Great-Grandfather and Eliza Cusworth Burton is her 4th Step-Great-Grandmother (she descends through Nathan’s first wife, Jane Richmond). Eliza Cusworth Burton was steadfast in her testimony of Christ and the restored Church. She might not be the biological 4th & 5th great-grandmother to Emma and our children, but she is still very much a part of our family and our family's history. She was a woman of great strength, faith, love, and dedication. I am so grateful that my children have this rich legacy and heritage to look back upon and draw strength and inspiration from. She is also now part of my family history and heritage, and learning of her and her life of faith is a source of strength for me." 


The sunsets lately have been incredible! They have a fiery red/orange to them from the fires in California. This is our view from our balcony. Seriously!
















We love you Little Atwells!

Comments

Popular Posts